Opinion: What's the role of a hospital in 10 years?
Dr. Eric Topol was named #1 Most Influential Physician Executive in Healthcare of 2012 by Modern Healthcare so his views are closely watched. In addition to his role as a cardiologist, geneticist and author of the Creative Destruction of Medicine, he's also the Editor-in-Chief of Medscape (WebMD's leading physician offering). Every health system CEO I've spoken with readily admits that we've essentially had a hospital building bubble with an over-capacity of 40-50% of hospital beds as we shift from the "do more, bill more" fee-for-service system to the "no outcome, no income" fee-for-value era.
- CVS Ramps Up Retail Clinics with Provider Affiliations
- 4 Tectonic Shifts Shaking Up Healthcare
- Contradictory Obamacare Rulings Issued by Appellate Courts
- Study Puts Spotlight on Preventing Fall-Related Injuries
- As HIPAA Breaches Accelerate, Tools Lag
- Wanted: Nurse PhDs
- Drug Pricing 'Tantamount to Greed,' Lawmaker Says
- Roundtable: Life After a Healthcare Organization Acquisition
- Medical Errors Third Leading Cause of Death, Senators Told
- As States Regulate Provider Competition, Common Threads Emerge