Opinion: What's the role of a hospital in 10 years?
Dr. Eric Topol was named #1 Most Influential Physician Executive in Healthcare of 2012 by Modern Healthcare so his views are closely watched. In addition to his role as a cardiologist, geneticist and author of the Creative Destruction of Medicine, he's also the Editor-in-Chief of Medscape (WebMD's leading physician offering). Every health system CEO I've spoken with readily admits that we've essentially had a hospital building bubble with an over-capacity of 40-50% of hospital beds as we shift from the "do more, bill more" fee-for-service system to the "no outcome, no income" fee-for-value era.
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised
- CFO Exchange: Healthcare Leaders Share 5 Innovative Ideas
- Business Roundup: M&A Activity Down Slightly in First Half of 2014
- Large Employers Trimming Healthcare Spending
- CNO on Hospital Redesign: 'You Can't Over-Communicate'