$30 million awarded in Florida malpractice lawsuit
A delay in performing a Caesarean section during Jacob Tomlian's birth will cost Plantation, FL-based Westside Regional Medical Center and Mark Grenitz, MD, $30 million. The delay left the 16-year-old with cerebral palsy, mental retardation, a spastic gait and deafness in one ear, according to jurors in Broward County. Jurors found the hospital 85 percent responsible and Grenitz 15 percent responsible in the medical malpractice case, according to attorneys.
- Patient Harm Data to Remain on Medicare's Hospital Compare Site
- Quiet ORs Better for Patient Safety
- Tavenner Confirmed as CMS Administrator
- Leapfrog Hospital Safety Scores 'Depressing'
- Building a Better Healthcare Board
- CMS Seeks to 'Rapidly Reduce' Medicare Spending with $1B in Grants
- Hard-Nosed About Physician Teamwork
- Rural Healthcare Can Entice the Best and Brightest
- Healthcare Leaders Sound Off on Organized Labor
- How Medical Debt Forgiveness Benefits Hospitals