Houston hospital has adopted a business approach to efficiency
Houston Chronicle, April 15, 2008
Shortly after taking over as CEO of Houston-based St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital, David Pate, MD, tasked a vice president at the hospital with researching "lean manufacturing." The concept was an old one in manufacturing, but was new to not-for-profit hospitals. While taking ideas off the assembly line and laying them over patient care was not well received by many doctors and nurses at first, Pate says the concept translates into patient safety.
- NFP Hospitals' Revenue Growth at 'All-Time Low'
- Transforming Cancer Care
- Interventional Radiology No Longer a Sub-Specialty
- Acute Kidney Injury Gets New Focus
- CNO Leads $1M Charge for New Scrubs, Uniforms
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- Sharp HealthCare Leaves Pioneer ACO Program
- mHealth Tackles Readmissions
- MA an Insurance Proving Ground for Providers
- States Without Medicaid Expansion Search for Alternatives