JCI, Korean Hospital Association Establish Strategic Collaboration
The Joint Commission International and the Korean Hospital Association have announced a strategic collaboration designed to improve healthcare quality and safety in South Korea.
Karen H. Timmons, president and CEO of the Joint Commission International, said the collaboration made sense for both sides, as the JCI and KHA both seek to improve quality and safety at their respective member hospitals.
"Working in many different countries it's very useful and beneficial to have credible, reputable partners who can also be local 'feet on the ground' to understand the culture, the healthcare delivery system, etc.," Timmons said. "They are assisting and partnering with us since we have such collaborative goals.
Through the partnership, the KHA and JCI will establish programs that seek to further quality and safety in Korean hospitals. As part of this "Memorandum of Understanding," the JCI and the KHA will:
- Establish an ongoing series of educational programs for KHA member hospitals
- Translate and publish the Joint Commission International Accreditation Standards for Hospitals, third edition, into Korean
- Establish a help desk for KHA members to answer their questions about JCI standards, accreditation, and services
- Distribute information on JCI standards for all accreditation programs via the KHA information network
- Develop and promote the use of patient safety solutions for the benefit of Korean patients and health professionals
- Promote KHA recommendations on healthcare quality and safety through the South Korea representative that is a member of JCI's Asia-Pacific Regional Advisory Council
One major goal of the collaboration is to help Korean hospitals achieve a level of quality that is recognized worldwide.
"Working with JCI will help the Korean Hospital Association raise the profile of health care in South Korea, and bring international recognition to the quality of care in Korean hospitals," said KHA President Hoon Sang Chi, MD, in a statement. "Improving the quality of healthcare and patient safety in South Korea is a strategic initiative of the KHA."
- Hospital Groups Strike Back at Hospital Rating Systems
- AHIP: Enormity of HIX Challenges Sinks In
- 5 Hot Healthcare Ideas from SXSW
- The Secret to Physician Engagement? It's Not Better Pay
- Another SGR Patch Likely, Lawmaker Says
- Hospital CEO Turnover Hits Record High
- How Succession Planning Boosts Employee Retention Rates
- Rules to Rein in HIX Narrow Networks Could Drive Away Payers
- 4 Reasons PCMH Principles Aren't Going Away
- Two-Midnight Rule Must be Fixed or Replaced, Say Providers