The Joint Commission Gets Two New Appointees Representing Hospitals
The American Hospital Association appointed two new executives to fill positions on the 29-member Joint Commission Board of Commissioners. Their three-year terms begin in January. They are:
- Nancy Howell Agee, chief operating officer and executive vice resident for Carilion Clinic in Roanoke. She also is the CEO of Carilion Medical Center, an 825- bed tertiary care teaching hospital and level I trauma center. She also currently chairs the Board of Virginia Hospital and Healthcare Association and the Foundation of Roanoke Valley.
- R. Timothy Rice, president and chief executive officer of the Moses Cone Health System in Greensboro, NC. Rice has a bachelor of science degree in pharmacy and is a fellow in the American College of Healthcare Executives. He also is the chair-elect of the board of directors of the North Carolina Hospital Association.
The 29-member board meets four times a year and includes physicians, administrators, nurses, employers, a labor representative, health plan leaders, quality experts, ethicists, a consumer advocate and educators. They are appointed by the AHA, the American Medical Association, the American College of Physicians, the American College of Surgeons and the American Dental Association.
The Joint Commission evaluates and accredits more than 16,000 healthcare organizations in the U.S., including more than 8,000 hospitals and home care groups and more than 6,200 other organizations providing long term care, behavioral health, lab and ambulatory service care.
Cheryl Clark is senior quality editor and California correspondent for HealthLeaders Media. She is a member of the Association of Health Care Journalists.
- CVS Ramps Up Retail Clinics with Provider Affiliations
- 4 Tectonic Shifts Shaking Up Healthcare
- As States Regulate Provider Competition, Common Threads Emerge
- Medical Errors Third Leading Cause of Death, Senators Told
- Contradictory Obamacare Rulings Issued by Appellate Courts
- As HIPAA Breaches Accelerate, Tools Lag
- Study Puts Spotlight on Preventing Fall-Related Injuries
- Roundtable: Life After a Healthcare Organization Acquisition
- Wanted: Nurse PhDs
- Recruiting Retired Clinicians