Sisters of Mercy Takes Reins at St. John's Regional Medical Center
The Sisters of Mercy Health System announced today that it has finalized a deal with Catholic Health Initiatives to assume sponsorship of St. John's Regional Medical Center in Joplin, MO. The financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Mercy takes immediate and full responsibility for operating the 367-bed acute care hospital and related operations, which serve 19 counties in Missouri, Arkansas, Kansas, and Oklahoma.
St. Louis-based Mercy, the eighth largest Catholic healthcare system in the nation, operates 19 other acute hospitals, physician practices, outpatient clinics, health plans, and related health and human services in a seven-state area, including nearby hospitals, physician offices, and other operations in Springfield, MO, Rogers, AR, and Independence and Fort Scott, KN.
Gary Pulsipher will become president/CEO of St. John's Regional. Pulsipher was with Mercy from 1994 to 2002, as president/CEO of St. John's Hospital in Lebanon, MO, and regional vice president of St. John's Health System in Springfield with responsibility for five regional hospitals. Since 2002, Pulsipher has served as president/CEO for Columbus Community Hospital in Columbus, NE, and administrator of Silverton Hospital in Oregon.
Denver-based CHI, the nation's second-largest Catholic healthcare system, includes 78 hospitals, 40 long-term care, assisted and independent living and residential facilities, and two community health services organizations located in 20 states.
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- 69% of Employers Plan to Offer Healthcare Coverage After 2014
- Primary Care Docs Average More Hospital Revenue Than Specialists
- Building a Better Healthcare Board
- CMS Seeks to 'Rapidly Reduce' Medicare Spending with $1B in Grants
- Quiet ORs Better for Patient Safety
- Hospital Pricing Data Dump Won't Hurt You, Yet
- CMS Releases Hospital Pricing Data
- Evidence-Based Practice and Nursing Research: Avoiding Confusion
- Case Study: Advance Care Conversations
- Telemedicine is Retail Health Clinics' Newest Tool