BayCare Opens New Hospital in Tampa Area
BayCare Health System this week opened a new $225 million hospital in suburban Lutz, just north of Tampa. St. Joseph's North is the first full-service hospital built in the Tampa Bay area in more than 30 years.
The 350,000-square-foot, three-story hospital features 108 private beds, 32 of which are for outpatient observation, and 76 of which are for inpatient care. The "all-digital" hospital offers emergency care, surgical services, imaging and diagnostic facilities, ICU, and a family-centered environment.
The full-service Emergency Department at St. Joseph's Hospital-North includes 30 private rooms for adult and pediatric patients. A fast-track area expedites treatment for minor emergencies.
Many of the private suites include large HDTVs, full bathrooms, and accommodations for an overnight guest. Room service provides made-to-order meals.
"Our family-centered care philosophy allows relatives and visitors to be collaborators in patient care," said Paula McGuiness, COO for St. Joseph's Hospital-North. "By incorporating the family, everyone is working together to meet the needs of the patient."
Evidence-based design include an identical floor plan to improve efficiency; workflow designs to ensure that medication, supplies, and meals deliveries keep caregivers close to patients; and noise reduction features, such as carpeted hallways, noise-absorbing tiles and glass sound barriers.
St. Joseph's North is LEED-registered by the U.S. Green Building Council, and the building is designed to achieve green building certification. The building is made of materials that support energy conservation and clean air with low chemical emissions and recycled content.
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- 69% of Employers Plan to Offer Healthcare Coverage After 2014
- Primary Care Docs Average More Hospital Revenue Than Specialists
- Building a Better Healthcare Board
- CMS Seeks to 'Rapidly Reduce' Medicare Spending with $1B in Grants
- Quiet ORs Better for Patient Safety
- Hospital Pricing Data Dump Won't Hurt You, Yet
- CMS Releases Hospital Pricing Data
- Q&A: Catholic Health Initiatives' New Senior VP for Capital Finance
- Evidence-Based Practice and Nursing Research: Avoiding Confusion
- Telemedicine is Retail Health Clinics' Newest Tool