Sanford USD Medical Center Named Level II Pediatric Trauma Center
The American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma this week verified Sanford USD Medical Center in Sioux Falls, SD, as a Level II Pediatric Trauma Center—the first and only one for the region, Sanford Health & MeritCare announced today.
The verification means access to pediatric surgeons, emergency physicians, a dedicated pediatric trauma flight team, and rapid access to operating rooms. Following treatment at the Trauma 5 ED, the pediatric patients will likely be transferred to the nearby146-bed Sanford Children's Hospital.
"This is a wonderful step forward for the care of the pediatric trauma patient in our region. To know that a pediatric specialist is involved in your child's care from the moment they arrive at Trauma 5 through their rehabilitation should be comforting," Pediatric Trauma Director and Pediatric Surgeon Adela Casas-Melley, MD, said in a media release.
With more than 500 beds, Sanford USD Medical Center is the largest tertiary care hospital in South Dakota. The hospital also received re-verification as a Level II Adult Trauma Center by the ACSCT, and has been verified as an adult trauma center for 16 years.
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- Telehealth Improves Patient Care in ICUs
- Hospital M&A Volume Up, Value Down in 3Q
- 50 Years of Fighting Pressure Ulcers Called Into Question
- Douglas Hawthorne—A Chance to Do Something Big
- States Rejecting Medicaid Expansion Forgo Billions in Federal Funds
- Why You Should Involve Patients in Nursing Handoffs
- Nonprofit Hospital Outlook 'Negative' in 2014
- The 5 Biggest Healthcare Finance Trouble Spots