Sanford Health Breaks Ground on Children's Clinic in Belize
Sanford Children's this week broke ground on the first of several international pediatric clinics. The 9,000-square-foot clinic, located in Belize City, will open in mid-2011, Sioux Falls, SD-based Sanford Health said in a media release.
"There is clearly a need for additional pediatric care in Belize, and this groundbreaking brings children closer to more healthcare in the region," said Dave Link, Sanford Health-MeritCare senior executive vice president.
Sanford Children's is working with several organizations to develop Sanford Children's Clinic in Belize, including the Belize Healthcare Charitable Trust, which donated $1 million. Belize Healthcare Partners Limited, a full-service hospital in Belize City, is donating nearby land for the clinic.
The Sanford Children's Clinic building will be shared with Belize Healthcare Partners Limited, which will use its part of the building for adult outpatient services.
Sanford Children's Clinic in Belize will connect to a team of pediatric subspecialists at Sanford Children's Hospital in Sioux Falls. It is the first international clinic and the second Sanford Children's World Clinic funded by a $400 million donation from South Dakota philanthropist Denny Sanford in 2007.
A part of the donation is being used to establish a network of Sanford Children's World Clinics in underserved communities throughout the world to expand access to pediatric care. Sanford opened its first Sanford Children's location in Duncan, OK, in August 2009 and recently announced plans for a location in Oceanside, CA.
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- CMS Seeks to 'Rapidly Reduce' Medicare Spending with $1B in Grants
- Building a Better Healthcare Board
- Case Study: Advance Care Conversations
- Patient Harm Data to Remain on Medicare's Hospital Compare Site
- Quiet ORs Better for Patient Safety
- Hard-Nosed About Physician Teamwork
- Hospital Pricing Data Dump Won't Hurt You, Yet
- CMS Releases Hospital Pricing Data
- Tavenner Confirmed as CMS Administrator
- Evidence-Based Practice and Nursing Research: Avoiding Confusion