Healthcare Reform Tips for Employers
With so much being said and written about healthcare reform, many employers don't know where to begin to find practical information about how the law will affect the workplace and what they should be doing to prepare, even now.
More importantly, employees are being bombarded with information they don't understand, or even downright misinformation, and are looking to their employers to help them wade through this complicated maze of new legislation. This article will hopefully clear up some of the confusion and provide a practical roadmap to what is already in effect and what is coming down the road.
3 Issues to Address Now
Although much of the healthcare law takes effect years down the road, there are a number of provisions which are of immediate impact to employers. Three examples are addressed below: new whistleblowing protections, the right to privacy for workplace nursing, and deciding whether to "grandfather" your health plan.
First, all employers should understand that the healthcare reform law dramatically expands whistleblower protections in the workplace. For example, an employee who makes a complaint about a perceived violation of the new healthcare law is protected from retaliation.
Similarly, if an employee opts out of an employer's plan and chooses to be covered in one of the new healthcare exchanges scheduled to start in 2014, that act is protected from retaliation.
- CEO Exchange: Preparing for Population Health
- Advocate, NorthShore Deal Would Create 16-Hospital System
- Better HCAHPS Scores Protect Revenue
- Narrow Networks Cut Costs, Not Quality, Economists Say
- 3 Strategies for Retaining Millennial Employees
- Power of price: In South FL and the nation, healthcare costs often are shrouded in secrecy
- Two NY hospitals to offer free hip and knee replacement surgeries for qualifying patients in December
- Hospital mergers may lead to higher prices
- Healthcare data of 1 million NJ patients compromised since 2009
- CEO Exchange: Pressure is On to Partner, Drive Quality