Caritas to convert Landmark
Caritas Christi Health Care yesterday said it plans to convert Landmark Medical Center of Woonsocket, R.I., into a Catholic hospital if its agreement to acquire the financially ailing 214-bed community hospital is approved by a Rhode Island judge and state regulators.
The conversion would mean Landmark could no longer provide sterilization services — such as tubal ligation — barred by the ethical and religious directives of the US Conference of Catholic Bishops, the rules governing Catholic health care organizations.
Landmark does not perform abortions, another procedure prohibited by the conference’s ethical and religious directives.
- MU Compliance Announcement Sparks Concern, Confusion
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- Telehealth Improves Patient Care in ICUs
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- Scary Financial Challenges for 2014
- States Rejecting Medicaid Expansion Forgo Billions in Federal Funds
- Douglas Hawthorne—A Chance to Do Something Big
- LifePoint Bolsters Presence in Michigan's Upper Peninsula
- Hospital M&A Volume Up, Value Down in 3Q
- Small Doesn't Mean Doomed