MEDNAX Subsidiary Acquires Southeast Anesthesiology Consultants
MEDNAX, Inc. subsidiary American Anesthesiology has acquired Southeast Anesthesiology Consultants, PA, a 90-physician group practice that provides anesthesia and pain management services at nine hospitals, 12 ambulatory surgery centers, and 10 pain management centers in the Charlotte, NC, area.
Financial terms were not disclosed, but Deutsche Bank Equity Research North America estimated that American Anesthesiology paid between $150 million and $200 million in the cash deal.
Deutsche Bank research shows Southeast Anesthesiology Consultants generates about $100 million in annual revenues and between $25 million and $30 million in trailing EBITDA. SAC, which does anesthesia volume of about 111,000 cases annually, is the fifth and largest group practice acquisition for MEDNAX, in terms of volume and facilities served.
SAC services eight of the 32 hospitals within Carolinas HealthCare System, the nation's second-largest not-for-profit healthcare system, including the system's largest hospital, the 874-bed Carolinas Medical Center.
SAC also provides anesthesia services at 11 ambulatory surgery centers in the Charlotte area, which includes part of South Carolina, and one facility in Virginia Beach, VA. The group also provides services at 10 pain management centers in Charlotte with annual volume of approximately 50,000 patient visits.
- 12 Hires to Keep Your Hospital Out of Trouble
- Meaningful Use Payment Adjustments Begin
- Ratcheting Up Patient Experience Has a Downside
- 'Mega Boards' Could be Rural Healthcare Disruptor
- HL20: Lee Aase—Who's Behind @MayoClinic
- 1 in 5 Eligible Hospitals Penalized for HACs
- Taming Time and Moving Healthcare Data
- HL20: Sam Foote, MD—The Courage to Speak Up
- HL20: Derek Angus, MD—An Intense Focus on Care
- A Christmas Wish List for US Healthcare