Intelligence Unit Special Reports Special Events Subscribe Sponsored Departments Follow Us

Twitter Facebook LinkedIn RSS

CO hospital blew whistle on contaminated wipes

MSNBC, March 8, 2011
It took fast-acting doctors at a Colorado hospital to flag problems with tainted alcohol wipes now tied to a massive recall and growing reports of potentially deadly infections, including the case of a 10-year-old boy already battling leukemia. Medical experts at The Children's Hospital in Aurora said they became alarmed last fall when a few youngsters developed bloodstream infections caused by the rare bacteria Bacillus cereus. "It just didn't make sense," said Christine Nyquist, MD, the hospital's medical director of infection prevention. "Based on the kind of patients they were, the organism, the bacteria, didn't make sense." Federal Food and Drug Administration officials credit the hospital with sparking an investigation that led to Triad's voluntary recall of hundreds of millions of alcohol swabs, wipes and pads widely used in hospitals, clinics and homes.

Comments are moderated. Please be patient.