Parkland Faces Second Review
A spokesperson for the Texas Department of State Health Services confirmed on Friday that the department has accepted its portion of the corrective action plan submitted by Parkland Memorial Hospital in response to numerous state and federal deficiencies identified during a recent review.
The state acceptance clears the way for a second review of the Dallas facility sometime this week to confirm that the CAP steps to correct serious life threatening problems have been taken and are effective. Time is of the essence. If Parkland does not pass the second review, it could lose its Medicare and Medicaid funding as early as this Friday.
State officials will perform the second review on behalf of CMS as well as the state health department.
Reviewers will arrive at Parkland unannounced to perform the second review, a health department spokesperson said.
The state and federal deficiencies overlap in areas such as emergency department care and infection control. State officials are primarily concerned about state licensure rules and regulations related to these deficiencies.
The Dallas office of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services accepted its portion of the CAP last week.
At stake is $417 million in Medicare and Medicaid funds that are part of the safety net hospital's annual budget. CMS notified Parkland Memorial in an August 9th letter that it must correct the "immediate jeopardy deficiencies" in infection control and emergency department care or CMS will terminate its Medicare contract.
- Federal Appeals Court Mulls Observation Status
- How the Military's EHR Reboot Will Impact Interoperability
- How One Health System Saved $3.5M in Benefits Costs
- HCA to Acquire CareNow Urgent Care Centers
- BCBS Tries New Drug Contracting Model
- 'Leadership Gap' Threatens MU Momentum, Says AMA
- Abington Health, Jefferson Health Plan '100% Equal' Merger
- Dental Board Case Before SCOTUS Has Far-Reaching Implications
- Ballot Initiative Pits Providers Against Payers in SD
- The Case for Recycling Surgical Supplies