Parkland: Leadership Change Unrelated to Report of Deficiencies
Parkland Memorial Hospital has no heir apparent to succeed Ron Anderson, M.D., who learned late Tuesday that he will no longer serve as the hospital’s president and CEO when his contract expires on Dec. 31. The announcement was made following an executive session of the hospital’s board of managers
The move to replace Anderson as CEO is unrelated to deficiencies discovered by the Centers for Medicaid & Medicare in July, said Lauren McDonald, M.D., chair of Parkland’s board of managers, in a telephone interview with HealthLeaders Media Wednesday. The hospital was cited for multiple “immediate jeopardy” deficiencies in August. It has submitted a corrective action plan and is undergoing a second review.
ROUNDS: Women’s Health Strategies
for Service Line Growth and Quality
When: September 15, 2011
Register today for this live webcast from Bon Secours Richmond Health System
Anderson is expected to assume a new role, which has yet to be identified, after his contract expires in December. “The board started this process before CMS came into the building. We’ve been discussing for several months what he (Anderson) can do to continue to help us,” she said.
John Haupert, the current COO and the second-ranking administrator at Parkland, is leaving to become the president and CEO of Grady Health System in Atlanta in October, and therefore not a candidate for the top slot at Parkland, McDonald explained.
The seven-member board met in executive session Tuesday evening to discuss a three-item agenda:
- CEO goals and evaluation
- Personnel matters involving executive leadership, including potential consulting services
- Contracts and personnel matters involving Ron Anderson, MD, including evaluations and options
- CMS Seeks to 'Rapidly Reduce' Medicare Spending with $1B in Grants
- Building a Better Healthcare Board
- Patient Harm Data to Remain on Medicare's Hospital Compare Site
- Quiet ORs Better for Patient Safety
- Case Study: Advance Care Conversations
- Hard-Nosed About Physician Teamwork
- Tavenner Confirmed as CMS Administrator
- CMS Releases Hospital Pricing Data
- Hospital Pricing Data Dump Won't Hurt You, Yet
- Evidence-Based Practice and Nursing Research: Avoiding Confusion