Former Novant exec pleads guilty to embezzling
For 7 of the 11 years Carol Crawley Maultsby oversaw risk management at Novant Health Inc., parent company of Forsyth Medical Center in Winston-Salem, she embezzled nearly $620,000 from Novant. On Tuesday, Maultsby, 56, pleaded guilty in Forsyth Superior Court to eight counts of embezzlement and was sent to prison for an active sentence of about two years. She also was ordered to repay the money she stole from Novant. Maultsby will have to use her retirement account, valued at $300,000, to pay Novant restitution. She will spend the rest of her probation, which lasts five years, repaying the rest of the money she is accused of embezzling.
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- FDA hopes hospitals will switch to newly regulated pharmacies
- The 5 Biggest Healthcare Finance Trouble Spots
- Not-for-Profit Hospitals Find Opportunity Amid Uncertainty
- Nonprofit Hospital Outlook 'Negative' in 2014
- The Most Polarizing Topics in Healthcare IT
- How CPOE Will Make Healthcare Smarter
- Why You Should Involve Patients in Nursing Handoffs
- Are ACOs Really Different from HMOs?
- Rise of the Chief Strategy Officer