States Moving 'Assertively' with ACA Provisions
Even as the U.S. Supreme Court prepares to debate the constitutionality of the individual mandate, and Republican presidential hopefuls vow to scrap "ObamaCare" if they win in November, nearly every state is quietly implementing the provisions of the Affordable Care Act, a review shows.
The study by The Commonwealth Fund found that as the second anniversary of the Affordable Care Act nears, 49 states and the District of Columbia have already acted to support implementation.
LIVE Webcast: Commercial ACOs—Strategies from Early Adopters
Featuring a brand-new format! Join HealthLeaders Media on March 22 for 90 minutes of commercial ACO strategy and solutions direct from top executives from both provider and payer realms. This customizable webcast allows you to pre-submit questions to our speakers to help guide the discussion, and ensure you get the answers your organization needs.
"I do see states moving assertively forward on implementing the provisions that went into effect in 2010," Sara Collins, vice president for Affordable Health Insurance at The Commonwealth Fund, tells HealthLeaders Media.
The report reviews state action on 10 early reforms, including the Patients' Bill of Rights that went into effect in September 2010. Between Jan. 1, 2010, and Jan. 1, 2012, 23 states and the District of Columbia had taken new legislative or regulatory action on at least one of these reforms, and an additional 26 states had taken other action to promote compliance with the reforms, such as issuing bulletins to insurers, The Conference Board said.
- Reform Puts Vise Grips on Physicians
- Medicare Opt-Out a Viable Physician Strategy
- Look Beyond Nurse-Patient Ratios
- Boston Marathon Bombing Yields Lessons for Hospitals
- How Physicians Can Help Ease Mental Health Provider Shortages
- NPP Demand Rising Under Value-Based Care Models
- Providers Lag as Consumers Set Agenda
- Physicians as Economic Powerhouses and Tech Laggards
- Hospital Groups Back NQF Report on Patient Sociodemographics
- The Flourishing Medical Tourism Business in America