Opinion: Rise of the medical expertocracy in government
As the healthcare debate heats up again in Washington, both Democrats and Republicans will try to convince us that they have the experts to answer all our health questions. President Barack Obama and the Democrats propose panels of government experts to evaluate treatments. Republicans claim that the free market (that is, insurance companies with their own experts) will pay for value and empower consumers. You cannot pick up a newspaper, turn on the TV or surf the Internet without encountering conflicting reports about various tests and treatments. Medical experts disagree about many issues, often dramatically.
- Governors Push to Expand Role of PAs, Telemedicine
- 3 More Pioneer ACOs Say They Will Quit
- Why Open Payments Irks Physicians
- Telemetry Overuse Cost Health System $4.8 Million in One Year
- Ebola in the U.S.: Reason to Fear, to Hope, to Prepare
- Top Provider Billing Mistakes Are Changing
- Overcoming a Payer Mix 'Nightmare'
- Employee Engagement: Make It Meaningful
- Difficult Patients: It's Not Them, It's You, Doctor
- IV Fluids Shortage Continues