Analyst: Highmark dominion in decline
Highmark fired Dr. Kenneth Melani for "gross and willful misconduct" on April 1 because of another high-profile fight that went public. The sudden downfall of Melani, who earned $4.3 million last year, left healthcare industry experts reeling. The future of financially struggling West Penn Allegheny Health System and its 11,000 employees hangs in the balance. Highmark's fortune will be at risk if it loses subscribers to UPMC Health Plan or other insurers that will offer in-network access to UPMC hospitals and doctors when the UPMC-Highmark contract expires in 2013.
- Interventional Radiology No Longer a Sub-Specialty
- NFP Hospitals' Revenue Growth at 'All-Time Low'
- Acute Kidney Injury Gets New Focus
- Transforming Cancer Care
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- Evidence-Based Practice and Nursing Research: Avoiding Confusion
- mHealth Tackles Readmissions
- CNO Leads $1M Charge for New Scrubs, Uniforms
- Sharp HealthCare Leaves Pioneer ACO Program
- MA an Insurance Proving Ground for Providers