Anthem, HealthCare Partners ACO Saves $4.7 Million
During a six-month period, Anthem Blue Cross and HealthCare Partners reported an 18% decrease in the length of hospital inpatient stays for patients in their southern California accountable care organization compared to patients outside the ACO.
Anthem Blue Cross and HealthCare Partners Medical Group have announced that their ACO generated an estimated $4.7 million in savings in the first six months of 2013 by shortening hospital stays and reducing the incidence of ED visits among participants.
The ACO involves more than 52,000 Anthem PPO patients in Southern California cared for by HealthCare Partners, a medical group with more than 6,300 primary care physicians and specialists. During the six-month study period, Anthem and HealthCare Partners reported an 18% decrease in the length of hospital inpatient stays for the ACO group compared to patients outside the ACO.
The incidence of both hospital visits and outpatient visits—including ED visits—declined 4%. Members also reported 4% fewer lab visits and radiology visits and slightly better results in managing cholesterol levels and blood sugar levels.
"Until now, the promise of better care and lower costs via ACOs in the commercial PPO population has not been clearly documented," said Mark Morgan, president of Anthem Blue Cross. "Through the collaboration of medical teams at Anthem and HealthCare Partners, we are able to provide one of the first well-documented reductions in medical cost trends in the national commercial PPO space."
- Ebola: Health Officials Try to Quell Front Line Fears
- Readmissions: No Quick Fix to Costly Hospital Challenge
- Reducing Readmissions Starts with Better Collaboration
- Ebola: A New Normal in Dallas
- Defensive Medicine Still Prevalent Despite Tort Reform
- Partners HealthCare M&A Deal Under Scrutiny
- 'Overtreatment' Debate Circles Back to Lung Cancer Screening
- How Telehealth Pays Off for Providers, Patients
- How Educated Nurses Save Money
- Health Literacy Month Gets a Boost from Payers