Business Roundup: Duke LifePoint Expands NC Footprint
Also, BayHealth and Peninsula Regional form an interstate collaborative, Tenet Healthcare acquires its 80th hospital, and Lahey Health and Winchester Hospital finalize their affiliation.
Eastern Group Director for
Duke LifePoint Healthcare has expanded its footprint in North Carolina with the acquisitions of two health systems.
The for-profit hospital chain announced this month that it has finalized acquisitions with Sylva, NC-based WestCare Health System and Clyde, NC-based MedWest Haywood. The two health systems will switch to for-profit tax status.
Jeff Seraphine, Eastern Group director for Nashville-based LifePoint Hospitals, says not-for-profit providers are more accepting of a change in tax status. "We still will run into some biases from some organizations but it's hard to argue about our commitment to quality. Everybody is facing the same challenges," he says.
"We accept the charity care policies the communities have been operating with, so that becomes a moot point. However, we still run into some biases and those seem to be driven by some old stereotypes that are still carried less by the boards and more from some of the leadership in the hospitals."
"They seem to be carried on from decades of stereotypes in the industry, but when these boards have the opportunity to look objectively we find that we do very well."
- CEO Exchange: Preparing for Population Health
- Advocate, NorthShore Deal Would Create 16-Hospital System
- 3 Strategies for Retaining Millennial Employees
- Power of price: In South FL and the nation, healthcare costs often are shrouded in secrecy
- Top Reason for Nurse Turnover: Managers
- CEO Exchange: Pressure is On to Partner, Drive Quality
- Two NY hospitals to offer free hip and knee replacement surgeries for qualifying patients in December
- Hospital mergers may lead to higher prices
- Better HCAHPS Scores Protect Revenue
- Healthcare data of 1 million NJ patients compromised since 2009