Qualify for a free subscription to HealthLeaders magazine.
"Snake oil is here to stay."
-John Hickner, MD, a professor at the University of Chicago's medical school, on the role that a patient's belief in alternative medicine can have on the patient's health, regardless of the actual medical benefits of the treatment.
"This same incident that affected the Quaids, it could happen again at another hospital in another place."
-Michael Cohen, president of the Institute for Safe Medication Practices, on the likelihood that another hospital could make a mistake similar to the heparin overdose given to the infant twins of actor Dennis Quaid and his wife at Los Angeles' Cedars-Sinai Medical Center.
"We can't simply say to the people of California, 'Go buy insurance.' "
-California Sen. Sheila Kuehl, on Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's plan to require people to hold private insurance and subsidize the premiums for those who cannot afford them.
- As Retail Clinics Surge, Quality Metrics MIA
- Providers' Push to Consolidate Roils Payers
- Medicare Cost, Quality Data Tools Weak, Says GAO
- RN Named Chief Patient Experience Officer
- No Employee Satisfaction, No Patient-Centered Culture
- Former NQF Co-Chair Linked to Conflicts of Interest in Journal Probe
- Population Health Pays Off for NY Collaborative
- How Simple Data Analytics is Driving Physician Incentives
- In PCMH, the 'P' is Not for 'Physician'
- AMA Pushes Lame Duck Congress for SGR Repeal