Qualify for a free subscription to HealthLeaders magazine.
"I understand that this is not a fix. This is a Band-Aid. But it's a good Band-Aid."
-Mark Thomas, chief of staff and special counsel for Florida's Agency for Health Care Administration, referring to an effort in Palm Beach County to increase the number of specialists providing coverage to hospital emergency departments by posting hospital call schedules online.
"Lung cancer is a cheap disease to treat because people don't survive very long."
-Pieter van Baal, an economist at the Netherlands' National Institute for Public Health and the Environment and lead author of a study that found that the healthcare costs of thin and healthy adults are more expensive than smokers or obese adults who often don't live as long.
"This is the death spiral of American medicine, if we don't figure out what to do."
-Arthur Kellermann, MD, professor and chairman of emergency medicine at Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta, on overcrowding in hospital emergency departments nationwide.
- Drug Pricing 'Tantamount to Greed,' Lawmaker Says
- CVS Ramps Up Retail Clinics with Provider Affiliations
- Study Puts Spotlight on Preventing Fall-Related Injuries
- Wanted: Nurse PhDs
- The Infection-Busting Treatment Payers Don’t Want to Talk About
- Surgical Checklists Unused in 10% of Hospitals, CMS Data Shows
- Contradictory Obamacare Rulings Issued by Appellate Courts
- 4 Tectonic Shifts Shaking Up Healthcare
- As HIPAA Breaches Accelerate, Tools Lag
- Ascension, Carondelet to Partner with Tenet, Dignity Health