Qualify for a free subscription to HealthLeaders magazine.
An inside look at an IT contract.
Client: Health Management Associates, Naples, FL.
Services: Hybrid electronic medical record and practice management system.
Winning Vendor: NextGen, providing software to 600 employed HMA physicians across clinics in 15 states. Selected March 2007 after three-month search.
Driver: Replace aging legacy practice management system and deploy new clinical documentation software.
Number of Vendors Considered: Five, according to Tony Barber, senior vice president of physician services. To qualify, needed endorsement by Certification Commission for Healthcare Information Technology.
Evaluation Tools: In-person demos and site visits. Evaluated with 40-item scorecard used by 20-member review panel of physicians, nurses, IT staff and practice managers flown into Naples for demos.
Why NextGen Won: Had widest array of clinical documentation templates for specialists; software required fewer keystrokes to navigate.
Deployment: Conversion to practice management system complete by June, with EMR conversion to begin then.
Got a good IT contract story? E-mail it to: email@example.com.
- Two-Midnight Rule Must be Fixed or Replaced, Say Providers
- Don't Underestimate Emotional Intelligence
- The Secret to Physician Engagement? It's Not Better Pay
- Care Coordination Tough to Define, Measure
- Yale New Haven Health Partners with Tenet Healthcare in CT
- CDC Warns of Antibiotic Overuse in Hospitals
- Physicians Take SGR Repeal Message to Washington
- Size Matters in Antibiotic Overuse
- SCOTUS Review of NC Board Case 'A Very Big Deal' to Providers
- Evidence-Based Practice and Nursing Research: Avoiding Confusion