Qualify for a free subscription to HealthLeaders magazine.
An inside look at an IT contract.
Client: Health Management Associates, Naples, FL.
Services: Hybrid electronic medical record and practice management system.
Winning Vendor: NextGen, providing software to 600 employed HMA physicians across clinics in 15 states. Selected March 2007 after three-month search.
Driver: Replace aging legacy practice management system and deploy new clinical documentation software.
Number of Vendors Considered: Five, according to Tony Barber, senior vice president of physician services. To qualify, needed endorsement by Certification Commission for Healthcare Information Technology.
Evaluation Tools: In-person demos and site visits. Evaluated with 40-item scorecard used by 20-member review panel of physicians, nurses, IT staff and practice managers flown into Naples for demos.
Why NextGen Won: Had widest array of clinical documentation templates for specialists; software required fewer keystrokes to navigate.
Deployment: Conversion to practice management system complete by June, with EMR conversion to begin then.
Got a good IT contract story? E-mail it to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- FDA hopes hospitals will switch to newly regulated pharmacies
- The 5 Biggest Healthcare Finance Trouble Spots
- Not-for-Profit Hospitals Find Opportunity Amid Uncertainty
- Nonprofit Hospital Outlook 'Negative' in 2014
- The Most Polarizing Topics in Healthcare IT
- Are ACOs Really Different from HMOs?
- How CPOE Will Make Healthcare Smarter
- Why You Should Involve Patients in Nursing Handoffs
- Rise of the Chief Strategy Officer