Qualify for a free subscription to HealthLeaders magazine.
An inside look at an IT contract.
Client: Health Management Associates, Naples, FL.
Services: Hybrid electronic medical record and practice management system.
Winning Vendor: NextGen, providing software to 600 employed HMA physicians across clinics in 15 states. Selected March 2007 after three-month search.
Driver: Replace aging legacy practice management system and deploy new clinical documentation software.
Number of Vendors Considered: Five, according to Tony Barber, senior vice president of physician services. To qualify, needed endorsement by Certification Commission for Healthcare Information Technology.
Evaluation Tools: In-person demos and site visits. Evaluated with 40-item scorecard used by 20-member review panel of physicians, nurses, IT staff and practice managers flown into Naples for demos.
Why NextGen Won: Had widest array of clinical documentation templates for specialists; software required fewer keystrokes to navigate.
Deployment: Conversion to practice management system complete by June, with EMR conversion to begin then.
Got a good IT contract story? E-mail it to: email@example.com.
- Patient Harm Data to Remain on Medicare's Hospital Compare Site
- Quiet ORs Better for Patient Safety
- Tavenner Confirmed as CMS Administrator
- Leapfrog Hospital Safety Scores 'Depressing'
- Building a Better Healthcare Board
- CMS Seeks to 'Rapidly Reduce' Medicare Spending with $1B in Grants
- Hard-Nosed About Physician Teamwork
- Rural Healthcare Can Entice the Best and Brightest
- Healthcare Leaders Sound Off on Organized Labor
- How Medical Debt Forgiveness Benefits Hospitals