Qualify for a free subscription to HealthLeaders magazine.
An inside look at an IT contract.
Client: Health Management Associates, Naples, FL.
Services: Hybrid electronic medical record and practice management system.
Winning Vendor: NextGen, providing software to 600 employed HMA physicians across clinics in 15 states. Selected March 2007 after three-month search.
Driver: Replace aging legacy practice management system and deploy new clinical documentation software.
Number of Vendors Considered: Five, according to Tony Barber, senior vice president of physician services. To qualify, needed endorsement by Certification Commission for Healthcare Information Technology.
Evaluation Tools: In-person demos and site visits. Evaluated with 40-item scorecard used by 20-member review panel of physicians, nurses, IT staff and practice managers flown into Naples for demos.
Why NextGen Won: Had widest array of clinical documentation templates for specialists; software required fewer keystrokes to navigate.
Deployment: Conversion to practice management system complete by June, with EMR conversion to begin then.
Got a good IT contract story? E-mail it to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- CNO on Hospital Redesign: 'You Can't Over-Communicate'
- How Digital Strategy Shapes Patient Engagement at Boston Children's Hospital
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- Carondelet to Pay $35M to Settle Fraud Allegations
- Some Cancer Hospitals' Quality Data Will Soon Be Public
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC