Qualify for a free subscription to HealthLeaders magazine.
An inside look at an IT contract.
Client: Health Management Associates, Naples, FL.
Services: Hybrid electronic medical record and practice management system.
Winning Vendor: NextGen, providing software to 600 employed HMA physicians across clinics in 15 states. Selected March 2007 after three-month search.
Driver: Replace aging legacy practice management system and deploy new clinical documentation software.
Number of Vendors Considered: Five, according to Tony Barber, senior vice president of physician services. To qualify, needed endorsement by Certification Commission for Healthcare Information Technology.
Evaluation Tools: In-person demos and site visits. Evaluated with 40-item scorecard used by 20-member review panel of physicians, nurses, IT staff and practice managers flown into Naples for demos.
Why NextGen Won: Had widest array of clinical documentation templates for specialists; software required fewer keystrokes to navigate.
Deployment: Conversion to practice management system complete by June, with EMR conversion to begin then.
Got a good IT contract story? E-mail it to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- As Medicare Advantage Cuts Loom, Disagreement Over Program's Stability
- Medicare Advantage Carriers See 'No Choice' But to Accept Cuts
- Centralizing the Revenue Cycle Protects the Bottom Line
- Physicians to Appeal 'Docs v. Glocks' Ruling in FL
- CA Fines 8 Hospitals for Medical Errors
- 3 Management Lessons from a Supermarket Debacle
- Doctors Feel Pressure to Accept Risk-based Reimbursement
- Employers Weigh Risks, Benefits of Private Exchanges
- Surgical Checklists Unused in 10% of Hospitals, CMS Data Shows
- Revenue Cycles Get a Boost from Simple JPEG Files