Five Minute Consult: Rachel Robinson, HCA Inc.
Qualify for a free subscription to HealthLeaders magazine.
Director of Physician and Clinician
Adoption, Communications, and Education for the Clinical Services Group, HCA Inc.
Rachel Robinson takes on many roles at the corporate offices of for-profit hospital giant HCA Inc. And some of her ideas for improvements came during her doctoral studies at the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School of Business, where she particpated in the Work-Based Learning Leadership program.
At Wharton, we're in residence for a week at the beginning and end of the semester, and the doctoral program is broken into five blocks. Once you complete those, you move into the dissertation phase. The luxury of the program is you can step in and out of different blocks as you choose to. I'm about to embark on my dissertation. At HCA, my role is strategic leadership vision. I have to help figure out what our needs are to drive the strategic objectives at the company. The support from my superiors came when they saw that I could bring positive change to the table as a result of me taking those weeks out from work to go up there—things I wouldn't have thought of if I hadn't been going. I have transitioned from supply chain. I'm setting the vision and leadership in clinician adoption of our learning initiatives. All of the clinicians are part of the team and we have about 100 business leaders helping implement across the company. I'll be setting the vision, and they will be teaching whatever learning initiative we're doing. This is not just about training in our system; it's changing the way we deliver healthcare. We're focused on understanding what the docs' wants and needs are so we can make this as successful for patients as possible.
Philip Betbeze is senior leadership editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- Two-Midnight Rule Must be Fixed or Replaced, Say Providers
- Don't Underestimate Emotional Intelligence
- The Secret to Physician Engagement? It's Not Better Pay
- Care Coordination Tough to Define, Measure
- Yale New Haven Health Partners with Tenet Healthcare in CT
- Physicians Take SGR Repeal Message to Washington
- Size Matters in Antibiotic Overuse
- CDC Warns of Antibiotic Overuse in Hospitals
- 4 Reasons PCMH Principles Aren't Going Away
- SCOTUS Review of NC Board Case 'A Very Big Deal' to Providers