Five Minute Consult: Rachel Robinson, HCA Inc.
Qualify for a free subscription to HealthLeaders magazine.
Director of Physician and Clinician
Adoption, Communications, and Education for the Clinical Services Group, HCA Inc.
Rachel Robinson takes on many roles at the corporate offices of for-profit hospital giant HCA Inc. And some of her ideas for improvements came during her doctoral studies at the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School of Business, where she particpated in the Work-Based Learning Leadership program.
At Wharton, we're in residence for a week at the beginning and end of the semester, and the doctoral program is broken into five blocks. Once you complete those, you move into the dissertation phase. The luxury of the program is you can step in and out of different blocks as you choose to. I'm about to embark on my dissertation. At HCA, my role is strategic leadership vision. I have to help figure out what our needs are to drive the strategic objectives at the company. The support from my superiors came when they saw that I could bring positive change to the table as a result of me taking those weeks out from work to go up there—things I wouldn't have thought of if I hadn't been going. I have transitioned from supply chain. I'm setting the vision and leadership in clinician adoption of our learning initiatives. All of the clinicians are part of the team and we have about 100 business leaders helping implement across the company. I'll be setting the vision, and they will be teaching whatever learning initiative we're doing. This is not just about training in our system; it's changing the way we deliver healthcare. We're focused on understanding what the docs' wants and needs are so we can make this as successful for patients as possible.
Philip Betbeze is senior leadership editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- MU Compliance Announcement Sparks Concern, Confusion
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- Scary Financial Challenges for 2014
- Telehealth Improves Patient Care in ICUs
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- MGMA Urges 'End-to-End' ICD-10 Testing
- 1 in 5 CT Screenings for Lung Cancer Results in Overdiagnosis
- LifePoint Bolsters Presence in Michigan's Upper Peninsula
- States Rejecting Medicaid Expansion Forgo Billions in Federal Funds
- Douglas Hawthorne—A Chance to Do Something Big