Qualify for a free subscription to HealthLeaders magazine.
The value-based purchasing program applies to acute care hospitals paid under the Medicare Inpatient Prospective Payment System. Beginning in FY2013, CMS will allocate 1% of its base operating DRG payment (gradually increasing to 2% by FY2017) to hospitals based on their overall performance on a set of quality measures that have been shown to improve clinical processes of care and patient satisfaction. That amounts to an estimated $850 million in the first year.
The withheld money will be redistributed to hospitals on the basis of their quality performance. Because CMS plans for the program to be budget neutral, those who don’t achieve the mandated goals will be penalized, losing Medicare revenue.
For FY2013, CMS will measure performance using two domains: the clinical process of care (70% of the score), which comprises 12 clinical process-of-care measures, and the patient experience of care (30% of the score), which is based on HCAHPS survey measures.
In FY2014, CMS will add the acute myocardial infarction, heart failure, and pneumonia mortality measures, two composite patient safety and inpatient quality indicators developed by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, and eight measures of healthcare-acquired conditions.
CMS will exclude from hospitals’ scores any measures for which they report fewer
than 10 cases. CMS also will exclude from the VBP program any hospital for which fewer than four of the 12 proposed clinical process measures apply, and any hospital that reports fewer than 100 HCAHPS surveys during the performance period.
- MU Compliance Announcement Sparks Concern, Confusion
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- Scary Financial Challenges for 2014
- Telehealth Improves Patient Care in ICUs
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- MGMA Urges 'End-to-End' ICD-10 Testing
- 1 in 5 CT Screenings for Lung Cancer Results in Overdiagnosis
- LifePoint Bolsters Presence in Michigan's Upper Peninsula
- States Rejecting Medicaid Expansion Forgo Billions in Federal Funds
- Douglas Hawthorne—A Chance to Do Something Big