Re-named Hospital Stresses Women’s Services
Three years ago, the struggling St. Mary's Hospital in Hoboken, NJ, re-launched as Hoboken University Medical Center. In addition to the name and branding change, its marketers knew that to make the newly named hospital a success, they had to capitalize on women's services. So the 328-bed hospital launched an integrated campaign that targeted new mothers and older women.
"When St. Mary Hospital was saved from closure in 2007 and re-launched as Hoboken university Medical Center, women's services were the cornerstone to the future success of the hospital," marketers wrote on their submission form for the 2009 HealthLeaders Media Marketing Awards.
Using the "We're Changing More than Our Name" rebranding campaign, marketers created an advertising program for women's services with the following goals:
- Brand maternity services and increase deliveries
- Extend the campaign to other women's services, such as radiology
- Increase brand awareness overall among women 25-50
- Increase referrals to the hospital from area physicians
The campaign featured print, TV, direct mail, and outdoor elements. Creative featured doctors and patients and explained the services it offered for women.
The campaign resulted in a 13% increase in deliveries at Hoboken UMC during the following year. Physician referrals also rose.
"The image campaign for women's services also helped boost the hospital's brand equity to 50% and was instrumental in changing public perception and helping to instill confidence in the newly launched institution," marketers wrote. "In a marketing survey conducted in 2008, consumers in the competitive healthcare market of Hudson County named Hoboken UMC their first hospital of choice."
- 'Kafkaesque' Value System Unfairly Penalizes Doctor Pay
- Proton Beam Therapy Poised for Growth in US
- mHealth Tackles Readmissions
- CNO Leads $1M Charge for New Scrubs, Uniforms
- Some Cancer Hospitals' Quality Data Will Soon Be Public
- Targeting Self-Insured Populations
- MA an Insurance Proving Ground for Providers
- 4 Crucial Tactics for Reining in Healthcare Cost
- How Digital Strategy Shapes Patient Engagement at Boston Children's Hospital
- How, and Why, to Recruit Male Nurses