Physician Recruiters Share Alternative Strategies
Newsflash: the physician shortage is growing and so is its effect on marketers. The Association of American Colleges predicts that Americans will need an estimated 45,000 primary care physicians and 46,000 surgeons and medical specialists by 2020. As a result, marketers will need to shift priorities to focus on physician recruitment and retention.
Last week, HealthLeaders covered 6 Physician Retention Strategies, so this week I will discuss some recruitment strategies marketers can keep in their back pockets, using Springfield, MA-based Baystate Health, a 783-bed integrated health system, as an example.
BUZZ SURVEY: Physician Growth Strategy
When Emerson Moses, projects & operations manager, first began work at the Office of Physician & Advanced Practitioner Recruitment at Baystate Health six years ago, there were only two internal staff, including herself. Today, the staff has expanded to six internal employees and three recruiters, the largest it has been in 15 years, Moses estimates.
The expansion mirrors Baystate Health's increasing attention on physician recruitment. Upon expansion, cost per hire decreased by 22% (from FY2006 to FY2010) as internal recruitment staff continued to increase.
"We were able to grow because we were able to demonstrate that it was easier and more cost efficient to have a full in-house staff rather than rely on outside agencies," Moses says. "It was a lot of heavy documenting and educating physician leadership on the value we provide to physicians on how we have the knowledge of our organization and its needs compared to an outside agency."
- As Medicare Advantage Cuts Loom, Disagreement Over Program's Stability
- Medicare Advantage Carriers See 'No Choice' But to Accept Cuts
- Physicians to Appeal 'Docs v. Glocks' Ruling in FL
- Centralizing the Revenue Cycle Protects the Bottom Line
- CA Fines 8 Hospitals for Medical Errors
- 3 Management Lessons from a Supermarket Debacle
- Doctors Feel Pressure to Accept Risk-based Reimbursement
- Employers Weigh Risks, Benefits of Private Exchanges
- Revenue Cycles Get a Boost from Simple JPEG Files
- Surgical Checklists Unused in 10% of Hospitals, CMS Data Shows