Hospitals adding R&R to treatment plan
Elmhurst (IL) Memorial Hospital is a member of Planetree, a nonprofit organization that promotes patient-centered health care in soothing environments in several medical facilities in Illinois and elsewhere in the country. Planetree officials say they also work to educate member hospitals to focus on the whole person: body, mind and spirit. Other hospitals not affiliated with Planetree have adopted similar approaches. "The body and mind are connected and are a huge part of the healing process," said Joanne Muzzey, director of patient advocacy and Planetree programs at Elmhurst Hospital. "We try to identify what is important to the patient. If there is some type of religious component, we work hard to meet that, while for some it may not be a part of their healing process." Muzzey said staff members might help with guided meditation or relaxation techniques or even provide a hand massage.
- Will More Pioneer ACOs Defect?
- Charity HealthCare Conundrum Brewing Among Providers
- MU Final Rule Disappoints Some CIOs
- Evidence-Based Practice and Nursing Research: Avoiding Confusion
- Interventional Radiology No Longer a Sub-Specialty
- 'Terrible' Patient Becomes Dedicated Nurse
- NFP Hospitals' Revenue Growth at 'All-Time Low'
- CNO Leads $1M Charge for New Scrubs, Uniforms
- mHealth Tackles Readmissions
- Acute Kidney Injury Gets New Focus