Hospitals adding R&R to treatment plan
Elmhurst (IL) Memorial Hospital is a member of Planetree, a nonprofit organization that promotes patient-centered health care in soothing environments in several medical facilities in Illinois and elsewhere in the country. Planetree officials say they also work to educate member hospitals to focus on the whole person: body, mind and spirit. Other hospitals not affiliated with Planetree have adopted similar approaches. "The body and mind are connected and are a huge part of the healing process," said Joanne Muzzey, director of patient advocacy and Planetree programs at Elmhurst Hospital. "We try to identify what is important to the patient. If there is some type of religious component, we work hard to meet that, while for some it may not be a part of their healing process." Muzzey said staff members might help with guided meditation or relaxation techniques or even provide a hand massage.
- Senators Hear How Two-Midnight Rule Harms Patients, Hospitals
- 3 Management Lessons from a Supermarket Debacle
- Medicare Advantage Carriers See 'No Choice' But to Accept Cuts
- Physicians to Appeal 'Docs v. Glocks' Ruling in FL
- Handshaking Spreads Germs. Get Over It.
- IOM Identifies GME Problems, Calls for Finance Changes
- Healthcare Costs Start With What We Eat
- Revenue Cycles Get a Boost from Simple JPEG Files
- Hospitals Likely to Outsource ICD-10 at Launch
- Anatomy of 3 Health System Rebranding Efforts