Luxury Hospital Facilities Put Patient Experience First
The striking new hospital buildings built by Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, Sanford Health in Sioux Falls, and Lurie Children's Hospital, in Chicago exemplify patient-centric design on a big budget. But even hospitals without deep pockets can glean inspiration from them.
Johns Hopkins, Baltimore MD
On May 1 Johns Hopkins officially opened its new 1.6 million-square-foot, $1.1 billion hospital, which features The Charlotte R. Bloomberg Children's Center and the Sheikh Zayed Tower.
The facility boasts 560 all-private patient rooms, 33 ORs, adult and pediatric EDs, extensive soundproofing, unique artwork, and healing gardens. Oh, and did I mention the basketball court?
"Our goal with every amenity and carefully designed feature of the new building is to create a welcoming, healing environment for our patients that goes hand in hand with the superior medical care provided by our world-renowned physicians, nurses and other staff," says Ronald R. Peterson, president of The Johns Hopkins Hospital and Health System and executive vice president of Johns Hopkins Medicine.
"In addition, throughout the building are more than 500 paintings and sculptures selected specifically for the hospital from 70 artists around the world. Amenities in the public areas include a gourmet food market and gift shop, a resource library for patients and their families, an outpatient pharmacy, areas for meditation and reflection, and a two-story indoor play area for pediatric patients." View slideshow.
- CMS to Speak with ICD-10 Backers Tuesday
- Feds Stonewall ICD-10 Summit
- Boston Marathon Bombing Yields Lessons for Hospitals
- Governor Details Healthcare Payment Reform Path in Arkansas
- Hospital Groups Back NQF Report on Patient Sociodemographics
- Managed Care Contract Negotiations Morph Under PPACA
- Cyberattack Drill Exposes Healthcare's Vulnerabilities
- Physician Payment Data is Where the Action Is
- NY Abolishes Written Practice Agreement for NPs
- MetroHealth Revs Its Population Health Engine