HANYS Grades the Hospital Graders
The Healthcare Association of New York State studies 10 of the most well-known report cards that attempt to quantify hospital performance—including those from the Leapfrog Group, Healthgrades, and U.S. News and World Report—and ranks them.
Healthcare likes data, so it's a safe bet it's going to love data about data. Stats lovers take notice: We now have another hospital report card. But instead of scoring hospital quality, this one scores the hospital report cards themselves.
For marketing departments that rely on those lists to state their case to the public, the results may be surprising.
The Healthcare Association of New York State (HANYS) studied 10 of the most well-known report cards that attempt to quantify hospital performance, including the Leapfrog Group's hospital report cards based on its hospital survey, America's Best Hospitals issued by Healthgrades, and U.S. News and World Report's Best Hospital Rankings.
The Report on Report Cards was released to the public on Monday; but HANYS membership got a peek at the nine-page document last week. "We hear from our members that all these report cards come out with the varied scores and methodology, and it's confusing," says HANYS spokeswoman Melissa Mansfield.
- Technology Lights Up Health Innovation Forum
- NCQA Releases Annual Health Plan Rankings
- Few Winners Among MSSP Participants
- 3 NC Health Systems Form Shared Services Organization
- Data Points to Boom in Private HIX
- Hospital Pharmacies Prep for Drug Takebacks
- Interstate Medical Licensure Effort Advances
- Anthem Blue Cross, 7 CA Health Systems Create New Challenger, Business Model
- How much does that x-ray cost? You can find out in NH
- EHR Systems 'Immature, Costly,' AMA Says