Individual Health Insurance Markets That Work, Part One
After a trip to Singapore, New Zealand, and Australia, the chief marketing officer of a Massachusetts payer discusses success factors for the direct-to-consumer markets she observed in her travels.
Debbie Gordon, Chief Marketing Officer, Network Health
Back in July, Deborah Gordon, vice president of business development and chief marketing officer for Medford, MA-based Network Health, a nonprofit health plan covering 215,000 state residents, set out for Singapore to find what she could learn from their experience with consumerism in the health insurance market.
As the recipient of one of nine 2013 U.S. Eisenhower Fellowships, Gordon also traveled to two other countries, Australia and New Zealand, to continue studying her chosen topic, consumer empowerment in healthcare, over the five-week fellowship period.
Now that she's back, Gordon says the biggest lessons she learned about how consumers bought health insurance came not from Singapore, but from Australia.
HLM: What were the big takeaways for you after visiting Singapore, New Zealand, and Australia?
Gordon: I learned so many things. One, all health systems are in transition. The premise of my trip was that the U.S. is on the precipice of a major transformation in many ways between the market forces, the ACA (Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act), and the cost pressures that we're facing in the industry.
I thought, 'I'm going to go to some of the world's best performing health systems to see what they have figured out.' And while I was there, I realized that they, too, were at points of transition. All systems are in transition, and the best ones move on purpose. They're constantly looking for ways to improve to adapt to new conditions and new challenges.
- EHR Systems 'Immature, Costly,' AMA Says
- Anthem Blue Cross, 7 CA Health Systems Create New Challenger, Business Model
- Interstate Medical Licensure Effort Advances
- Data Points to Boom in Private HIX
- Few Winners Among MSSP Participants
- Better HCAHPS Scores Protect Revenue
- How to Build a Health Plan from Scratch
- Technology Lights Up Health Innovation Forum
- Insurers see cost hikes in Partners HealthCare (MA) mergers
- Malnourishment 'Epidemic' Plagues Hospitals? Really?