Anatomy of a Nursing Image Awards Nominee
Last week I wrote in this space about hot topics at the annual Nursing Management Congress. This week I've had the honor of sifting through the shortlist of nominees for HCPro's 2011 Nursing Image Awards. The two seem unconnected, yet certain recurring themes link the two.
The conference covered the changing face of healthcare and provided a chance to discuss pressing issues affecting nursing's role. Attendees were buzzing about:
- The Future of Nursing report: How to implement the Institute of Medicine's recommendations and how they will change the profession.
- Value-Based Purchasing: How this will affect nursing and what nurses need to know.
- Patient Engagement: There's more reason than ever before to pay attention to this topic, which nursing can really own
- Quality: Preventing HAIs and best practices for any quality improvement initiative
- Leadership: Being a better manager, improving communication, and retaining a committed and engaged nursing staff.
These themes were reflected in the nomination essays of the nurses singled out by their peers for recognition. Here are some excerpts:
Education and learning
The essay for this nominee notes the value she places on education and lifelong learning:
"She worked diligently to obtain an increased tuition reimbursement for nursing education, establishing educational relationships with over 10 different accredited nursing programs, yearly certification incentives, a PhD clinical research consultant, and access to an incredible online library with a dedicated medical librarian. Nurses have embraced the many opportunities she has created for them, which is reflected in our strong retention rate and high years of service."
- 1 in 5 Eligible Hospitals Penalized for HACs
- 'Mega Boards' Could be Rural Healthcare Disruptor
- A Christmas Wish List for US Healthcare
- 12 Hires to Keep Your Hospital Out of Trouble
- Meaningful Use Payment Adjustments Begin
- HL20: Lee Aase—Who's Behind @MayoClinic
- HL20: Rebecca Katz—Cooking Up Sustainable Nourishment
- Two-Midnight Rule Will Cost Hospitals Big
- Dr. Oz gets fact-checked and the results aren't pretty
- Top 3 Nursing Lessons of 2014