Opinion: Healthcare waste deconstructed—fraudsters and patients aren’t the problem
The National Academy of Sciences reports that US wastes $750 billion on healthcare. Fraud and inadequate prevention accounted for only 17 percent of the waste. The rest of the waste, 83 percent, was accounted for by other factors; unnecessary services, unnecessarily high prices, excessive administrative costs due to too many insurance companies and types of insurance; inefficiently delivered services due to a lack of coordination among doctors, hospitals and other providers. This problem could be solved by putting our health-care system on a budget-driven diet while simultaneously expanding access.
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised
- CNO on Hospital Redesign: 'You Can't Over-Communicate'
- CFO Exchange: Healthcare Leaders Share 5 Innovative Ideas
- How Digital Strategy Shapes Patient Engagement at Boston Children's Hospital
- Carondelet to Pay $35M to Settle Fraud Allegations