New York hospital scrutinized after deaths of patients
New York Times, February 11, 2008
After the lab at Rockville Centre, NY-based Mercy Medical mixed up one patient's test with another woman's, the women had a double mastectomy and died due to complications from the surgery. In October 2007, the state Health Department concluded that the hospital had taken proper "corrective action" after the mix-up in the mastectomy case. But it is now investigating the hospital over the deaths of three other patients.
- Patient Harm Data to Remain on Medicare's Hospital Compare Site
- Quiet ORs Better for Patient Safety
- Tavenner Confirmed as CMS Administrator
- Leapfrog Hospital Safety Scores 'Depressing'
- CMS Seeks to 'Rapidly Reduce' Medicare Spending with $1B in Grants
- Building a Better Healthcare Board
- Hard-Nosed About Physician Teamwork
- Healthcare Leaders Sound Off on Organized Labor
- Case Study: Advance Care Conversations
- Esther Dyson's Population Health Dream