SCHIP: Doctor-owned hospitals win
One group that's celebrating the long-awaited bill expanding the State Children's Health Insurance Program: The Physicians Hospitals of America, which represents doctor-owned hospitals. The group was fighting a version of the bill that would have curbed expansion of these hospitals by prohibiting Medicare payments to new ones and restricting expansion of existing ones. The restrictions were the brainchild of California Rep. Pete Stark, who has criticized such facilities as cherry pickers of lucrative patients, among other things.
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised
- Business Roundup: M&A Activity Down Slightly in First Half of 2014
- CFO Exchange: Healthcare Leaders Share 5 Innovative Ideas
- Large Employers Trimming Healthcare Spending
- CNO on Hospital Redesign: 'You Can't Over-Communicate'