SCHIP: Doctor-owned hospitals win
One group that's celebrating the long-awaited bill expanding the State Children's Health Insurance Program: The Physicians Hospitals of America, which represents doctor-owned hospitals. The group was fighting a version of the bill that would have curbed expansion of these hospitals by prohibiting Medicare payments to new ones and restricting expansion of existing ones. The restrictions were the brainchild of California Rep. Pete Stark, who has criticized such facilities as cherry pickers of lucrative patients, among other things.
- Anthem Blue Cross, 7 CA Health Systems Create New Challenger, Business Model
- Data Points to Boom in Private HIX
- Few Winners Among MSSP Participants
- Technology Lights Up Health Innovation Forum
- EHR Systems 'Immature, Costly,' AMA Says
- Interstate Medical Licensure Effort Advances
- Hospitals and doctors fail patients by passing the buck on insurance rules
- Malnourishment 'Epidemic' Plagues Hospitals? Really?
- A new way insurers are shifting costs to the sick
- NCQA Releases Annual Health Plan Rankings