Outbreaks of flu are way up in Los Angeles County
Los Angeles Times, October 16, 2009
The swine flu virus is spreading rapidly throughout California and Los Angeles, officials said. More than half of local health departments in the state are seeing active outbreaks, Mark Horton, MD, the state public health officer, said at a news conference. More than 5% of patients going to doctor's offices have flu-like symptoms, which is much higher than the usual 2%, according to an estimate based on about 50 physicians across California who monitor flu activity for the state.
- Patient Harm Data to Remain on Medicare's Hospital Compare Site
- Quiet ORs Better for Patient Safety
- Tavenner Confirmed as CMS Administrator
- Leapfrog Hospital Safety Scores 'Depressing'
- CMS Seeks to 'Rapidly Reduce' Medicare Spending with $1B in Grants
- Building a Better Healthcare Board
- Hard-Nosed About Physician Teamwork
- Case Study: Advance Care Conversations
- Healthcare Leaders Sound Off on Organized Labor
- Esther Dyson's Population Health Dream