TeamHealth Acquires Southwest Emergency Physicians
TeamHealth Holdings, Inc., has acquired Roanoke, VA-based Southwest Emergency Physicians and will assume the management and staffing of the emergency department at Lewis Gale Medical Center in Salem, VA, which cares for approximately 42,000 patients annually, TeamHealth said in a media release.
The financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
"TeamHealth is excited to partner with the exceptional physicians that comprise SWEP, most of whom have been serving this emergency department more than 10 years," said TeamHealth President John R. Staley, MD. "We share their commitment to supporting the hospital's goals and creating a physician-led culture that enhances physicians' ability to deliver high-quality emergency care to the Salem community."
SWEP President Robert Dowling, MD, said his physicians' group "sought to partner with an organization that has the necessary clinical and operational infrastructure to support the growing practice, provide the tools necessary to help the physicians achieve the high performance goals set by the hospital, and maintain a physician-led culture that puts patient care first."
Knoxville, TN-based TeamHealth offers seven service lines, including emergency medicine, hospital medicine, anesthesia, teleradiology, and pediatric staffing in 13 regional sites, using more than 5,900 clinicians. TeamHealth has operations in 530 civilian and military hospitals, clinics, and physician groups in 48 states.
John Commins is a senior editor with HealthLeaders Media.
- Governors Push to Expand Role of PAs, Telemedicine
- 3 More Pioneer ACOs Say They Will Quit
- Why Open Payments Irks Physicians
- Ebola in the U.S.: Reason to Fear, to Hope, to Prepare
- Top Provider Billing Mistakes Are Changing
- Employee Engagement: Make It Meaningful
- Payer Calls for More Primary Care Docs, Team Care
- Overcoming a Payer Mix 'Nightmare'
- These Algorithms Reduce Readmissions
- Difficult Patients: It's Not Them, It's You, Doctor