Italy doctors jailed for ’clinic of horrors’ operations
The doctors, who were working at Milan's Santa Rita clinic, carried out more than 80 unnecessary operations.
The surgery included breast and lung removal, La Repubblica newspaper reports.
The clinic's chief thoracic consultant, Pier Paola Brega Massone, was sentenced to 15-and-a-half years for his role.
In sentencing, the judge said Berga Massone was "cruel, malevolent and lacking the slightest sense of human pity".
- CMS Sets 2014 Pay Rates for Hospital Outpatient and Physician Services
- FDA hopes hospitals will switch to newly regulated pharmacies
- The 5 Biggest Healthcare Finance Trouble Spots
- Not-for-Profit Hospitals Find Opportunity Amid Uncertainty
- Nonprofit Hospital Outlook 'Negative' in 2014
- The Most Polarizing Topics in Healthcare IT
- How CPOE Will Make Healthcare Smarter
- Why You Should Involve Patients in Nursing Handoffs
- Are ACOs Really Different from HMOs?
- Rise of the Chief Strategy Officer