Checklists ain't all
I am often approached by people who have read Atul Gawande's excellent work and who ask me if we use checklists to improve the quality of care in our hospital. We do, in order to reduce variability where appropriate, but stating the issue in terms of checklists is simplistic. This 2009 Lancet article by Charles Bosk, Peter Pronovost and others, entitled "Reality check for checklists," states it clearly:
- Providers Lag as Consumers Set Agenda
- ICD-10 Delay Alters Provider, Vendor Prep
- Esther Dyson Launches Population Health Challenge
- Crisis Spurs Healthcare Payment Reform in Arkansas
- Payment Reform Naysayers 'Better Wake Up'
- Look Beyond Nurse-Patient Ratios
- HIT Leaders Want Flexibility, Transparency from Next HHS Chief
- Reduce Readmissions by Activating Patients to Do 'Self-Care'
- As Hospitalist Patient Loads Rise, So Do Hospital Costs
- Hospital Groups Back NQF Report on Patient Sociodemographics