Hospitals Added Nearly 20K Jobs in Q1
Job growth in the healthcare sector is on an uptick, Bureau of Labor Statistics data and preliminary data show.
Hospitals created 10,200 new jobs in March and 19,600 new jobs in the first quarter of 2011, easily outstripping the 3,700 hospital jobs created in the first quarter of 2010, according to the BLS.
The healthcare sector – everything from hospitals to podiatrists' offices to kidney dialysis centers – created 36,600 new jobs in March, and 82,600 new jobs in the first quarter, and now employs slightly more than 14 million people. Healthcare created 63,200 new jobs in the first quarter of 2010, BLS preliminary data show.
Healthcare sector employment nudged over the 14 million jobs threshold in March for the first time, with 4.7 million jobs at hospitals, nearly 6.1 million jobs in ambulatory services, more than 2.3 million in physicians' offices, and nearly 3.2 million jobs at nursing homes and residential care facilities, BLS preliminary data show.
Ambulatory services accounted for half of the new jobs created in the healthcare sector, with 17,500 new jobs in March, and 45,600 new jobs for the quarter. Ambulatory services created 50,000 new jobs in the first quarter of 2010, BLS preliminary data show.
Physicians' offices reported 7,600 new jobs in March, and 16,500 new jobs in the first quarter, compared with 4,900 jobs in the first quarter of 2010. Nursing and residential care facilities also showed strong job growth in March, creating 8,800 payroll additions for the month, and 17,400 payroll additions in the first quarter, BLS preliminary data show.
- Resisting the Healthcare Consolidation Frenzy
- MGMA Urges 'End-to-End' ICD-10 Testing
- 1 in 5 CT Screenings for Lung Cancer Results in Overdiagnosis
- Scary Financial Challenges for 2014
- New G-Codes to Pay Doctors for Broad Array of Non-Face-to-Face Care
- Give Nurses in Wheelchairs a Chance
- MU Compliance Announcement Sparks Concern, Confusion
- 3 Better Ways to Market Bariatric Surgery
- HL20: George Halvorson—Expectations for Success
- Top 3 Health Plan Game Changers of 2013