Hospitals Add 10K Jobs in April
For the second consecutive month, job growth in the healthcare sector showed impressive gains, Bureau of Labor Statistics preliminary data show.
Hospitals created 10,100 new jobs in April, after posting 10,200 new jobs in March. So far in 2011, hospitals have created 31,500 new jobs, compared with 8,900 new jobs in the first four months of 2010, BLS data and preliminary data show.
The healthcare sector – everything from hospitals to podiatrists' offices to kidney dialysis centers – created 37,290 new jobs in April, after posting 34,400 new jobs in March, and 112,100 new jobs in 2011. Healthcare created 80,500 new jobs in the first four months of 2010, BLS preliminary data and preliminary show.
Healthcare sector employment nudged over the 14 million jobs threshold in April, with more than 4.7 million jobs at hospitals, more than 6.1 million jobs in ambulatory services, and more than 2.3 million in physicians’ offices, BLS preliminary data show.
Ambulatory services accounted for more than half of the new jobs created in the healthcare sector in 2011, with 21,500 new jobs in April, and 59,800 new jobs in the last four months. Ambulatory services created more than 57,000 new jobs in the first four months of 2010, BLS data and preliminary data show.
Physicians' offices reported another strong month of job growth, with 6,600 new payroll additions reported in April, after posting 8,700 new jobs in March, and 31,500 new jobs in 2011. That compares with 8,900 new jobs in the first four months of 2010.
- HCA to Acquire CareNow Urgent Care Centers
- Dental Board Case Before SCOTUS Has Far-Reaching Implications
- BCBS Tries New Drug Contracting Model
- Abington Health, Jefferson Health Plan '100% Equal' Merger
- 76% of Physicians Don't Like CMS Quality Reporting Programs
- The Case for Recycling Surgical Supplies
- Federal Appeals Court Mulls Observation Status
- Ballot Initiative Pits Providers Against Payers in SD
- How the Military's EHR Reboot Will Impact Interoperability
- Aetna Cuts 4 New Accountable Care Deals