Rounds: In Accountable Care, Oncology Teams Take the Lead
The idea behind accountable care is that a diverse team of physicians of different disciplines would combine with other top clinicians including care navigators, social workers and nurses to provide the patient with the best evidence-based care, ready access to information and a team working together.
If ever there were a discipline where the accountable care structure was already being tested, it would be in cancer care, says Ian Buchanan, MD, MPH, Associate Vice President, Oncology and Urology UNC Health Care System in Chapel Hill, N.C., and one of the featured speakers at HealthLeaders Media Rounds "A Programmatic Approach to Cancer Care" simulcast from noon-3 p.m. Eastern time on Friday, Dec. 16, live from Banner MD Anderson Cancer Center in Phoenix, AZ.
Host speakers from Banner MD Anderson Cancer Center include Edgardo Rivera, MD, Medical Director, Vicki Koceja, RN, PhD, clinical administrative director and Michael Bianchi, associate administrator.
Cancer care can seem fractured, often with multiple providers in different specialists and working for different groups trying to coordinate care. And the nature of the disease itself plays a role, he says.
"The nature of care is different. You have a lot of acuity and a lot of need for a protracted period of time," Buchanan says. "There are few other diseases that require so many professionals to be engaged," he says, with the closest comparison being solid organ transplant.
- Two-Midnight Rule Must be Fixed or Replaced, Say Providers
- CDC Warns of Antibiotic Overuse in Hospitals
- Care Coordination Tough to Define, Measure
- Don't Underestimate Emotional Intelligence
- HIMSS: Software Bugs, Shifting Alliances Unsettling for CIOs
- The Secret to Physician Engagement? It's Not Better Pay
- SCOTUS Review of NC Board Case 'A Very Big Deal' to Providers
- Evidence-Based Practice and Nursing Research: Avoiding Confusion
- AHRQ: Surgical Admissions Bring 48% of Hospital Revenue
- Yale New Haven Health Partners with Tenet Healthcare in CT