Senators launch investigation of prescription narcotics
As the U.S. Senate Finance Committee launched an investigation Tuesday into makers of narcotic painkillers and groups that champion them. Sens. Max Baucus, D-Mont., the finance panel chairman, and Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, sent letters to The American Pain Foundation, three pharmaceutical companies, and five groups that support pain patients, physicians or research. The Federation of State Medical Boards, the trade group for agencies that license doctors, also received a letter, as did The Joint Commission.
- Patient Harm Data to Remain on Medicare's Hospital Compare Site
- Quiet ORs Better for Patient Safety
- Tavenner Confirmed as CMS Administrator
- Leapfrog Hospital Safety Scores 'Depressing'
- CMS Seeks to 'Rapidly Reduce' Medicare Spending with $1B in Grants
- Building a Better Healthcare Board
- Hard-Nosed About Physician Teamwork
- Healthcare Leaders Sound Off on Organized Labor
- Case Study: Advance Care Conversations
- Esther Dyson's Population Health Dream