Banner Health, AZ Blues Partner in Medicare Health Plan
Banner Health, the Phoenix-based health system that operates 23 hospitals in Arizona, and Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona have formed a 50-50 joint venture to offer a new Medicare Advantage plan.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona Advantage will initially be marketed throughout greater Phoenix—Maricopa County and portions of Pinal County where an estimated 500,000 Medicare-eligible people reside. The Medicare Advantage plan will be open for business by October 15, when the national open enrollment period for Medicare begins.
The new plan will replace Banner Health's existing 22,000-member Medicare Advantage plan and continue to offer similar benefits. It will be the Blues plan's first foray into the Medicare Advantage arena, although BCBSAZ does provide Medicare Supplement and Medicare Part D plans for more than 23,000 members.
Banner Health and BCBSAZ have been seeking ways to increase their presence in Arizona's highly competitive Medicare market, where Cigna, Health Net, Humana, and UnitedHealth already offer well-established products.
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- Business Roundup: M&A Activity Down Slightly in First Half of 2014
- CFO Exchange: Healthcare Leaders Share 5 Innovative Ideas
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- Large Employers Trimming Healthcare Spending
- 3 Things the Ice Bucket Challenge Can Teach Hospital Marketers