Surgeon Breaks Through Boys' Club, Scales Olympic Heights
Gloria Beim, MD, pushed past gender bias early in her career to become an orthopedic surgeon, found her own practice, and be named Chief Medical Officer for the United States Olympic Committee.
Gloria Beim, MD, an orthopedic surgeon based in Colorado, never thought she'd learn to speak Russian.
Gloria Beim, MD
Photo: Alpine Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine Clinic
But in February 2013 the United States Olympic Committee called, and offered Beim a position. This wasn't the first time she had worked with the USOC. She had been the team physician for cycling and taekwondo in the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens and a venue medical director in the 2012 Summer Olympics in London.
This position was different. Beim was being asked to become the Chief Medical Officer for Team USA during the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.
The orthopedic surgeon was beyond enthusiastic about the offer, and determined put forth her best effort. Her first task: start learning Russian and began to prepare for a big challenge.
Before Beim was running the show in Sochi, she first had to climb the ladder in the field of orthopedics. After suffering several knee injuries at the age of 16, Beim was introduced to orthopedics as a patient. Originally wanting to be a veterinarian, she quickly grew interested in orthopedics, which would give her a chance to treat athletes such as herself.
Making her way through the orthopedic field wasn't easy, though, as Beim's competency was frequently challenged because of her gender.
- 'Mega Boards' Could be Rural Healthcare Disruptor
- 1 in 5 Eligible Hospitals Penalized for HACs
- HL20: Rebecca Katz—Cooking Up Sustainable Nourishment
- Meaningful Use Payment Adjustments Begin
- HL20: Peter Semczuk, DDS, MPH—Taking on the Big Challenges
- PA hospital to pay $662,000 to settle Medicare fraud case
- Supreme Court to hear Obamacare subsidy challenge in March
- How the high cost of medical care is affecting Americans
- Dr. Oz gets fact-checked and the results aren't pretty
- HL20: Lee Aase—Who's Behind @MayoClinic