Biogen, Elan report cases of brain disease
Two multiple-sclerosis patients treated with Biogen Idec Inc.'s drug Tysabri contracted a potentially deadly brain infection. The news casts a cloud over the revival of the medicine, which was already withdrawn once over safety concerns. Biogen said it had no plans to recall the drug again or restrict its use. The company said that the two patients who contracted the ailment, progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy, or PML, are alive.
- How Medical Debt Forgiveness Benefits Hospitals
- Leapfrog Hospital Safety Scores 'Depressing'
- Patient Harm Data to Remain on Medicare's Hospital Compare Site
- Quiet ORs Better for Patient Safety
- Tavenner Confirmed as CMS Administrator
- Building a Better Healthcare Board
- Healthcare Leaders Sound Off on Organized Labor
- Esther Dyson's Population Health Dream
- CMS Seeks to 'Rapidly Reduce' Medicare Spending with $1B in Grants
- Rural Healthcare Can Entice the Best and Brightest