San Jose, CA, hospital scare linked to sewer gas
The emergency room of Santa Clara County, CA's busiest hospital was closed for more than four hours Feb. 12 because of a scare involving a man who had been overcome by a byproduct of sewer gas at his home. The 18-year-old man was brought to Santa Clara Valley Medical Center in San Jose after being found unconscious in his home. He was not decontaminated before being admitted, and at first authorities had no idea what had felled him. As a precaution, the emergency department was quarantined, and dozens of people were decontaminated.
- CFO Exchange: Smartphones Poised to Disrupt Healthcare, Says Topol
- Consumerism Drives Healthcare Branding, Rebranding Efforts
- PA Ranks See 'Phenomenal Growth,' Lack of Diversity
- CNO on Hospital Redesign: 'You Can't Over-Communicate'
- How Digital Strategy Shapes Patient Engagement at Boston Children's Hospital
- 3 Traits Personality Assessments Can't Reveal
- Antibiotic Overuse a 'Huge Threat' to Patient Safety, Says CDC
- Half of All Primary Care, Internal Medicine Jobs Unfilled in 2013
- Carondelet to Pay $35M to Settle Fraud Allegations
- CHS Hacked, 4.5M Patient Records Compromised