Quality e-Newsletter
Intelligence Unit Special Reports Special Events Subscribe Sponsored Departments Follow Us

Twitter Facebook LinkedIn RSS

Nashville hospital sued for $5 million over handling of child's corpse

Nashville Post, May 14, 2009

A couple is suing Nashville-based Southern Hills Medical Center for $5 million following the death of their 18-month-old son. According to the lawsuit, the child was taken to Southern Hills in June of last year after he was found to be unconscious and unresponsive. Upon arrival, the child was flatlining and, despite attempts by the medical staff, was eventually pronounced dead. The parents arrived at Southern Hills a short time later, and claim hospital staff told them they would be able to see the child after answering questions. The complaint says that the family was barred from identifying the body and "saying goodbye" despite never having been charged with any role in death.